You do not need a referral to see a Speech Pathologist or Clinical Psychologist, but you may be eligible to claim a partial rebate on the cost of the session through the following avenues:
Private Health Insurance
- Speech pathology and clinical psychology is covered under many health fund plans. Please check with your private health fund to determine if you can claim a rebate on your appointment. We can process your health fund claim on the spot provided you have your health fund card, and your health fund is registered with HICAPS for psychology claims. This means that all you need to pay is the gap between your health fund benefit, and our fee.
- The Better Access to Mental Health Care Initiative – A Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP) needs to be completed by your GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician. With a MHCP, a rebate of $124.50 can be obtained on up to 10 individual and 10 group sessions per calendar year. For more information visit: www.psychology.org.au
- The EPC Plan (or Chronic Disease Management Plan) – The Enhanced Primary Care (EPC) program provides Medicare rebates for allied health services, for people who have a chronic medical condition. You may be eligible to claim a rebate through Medicare for these services if you have a chronic condition that is being managed by your GP under an Enhanced Primary Care Plan. A chronic medical condition is one that has been or will be present for at least 6 months. The EPC provides a maximum of 5 total rebates per calendar year for all Allied Health services. For further information, please contact your GP.
- Carer Allowance – The Carer Allowance is a payment available through Centrelink for the parents or carers of a child under the age of 16, who has a disability or a severe medical condition, and is cared for at home. Eligibility is determined by Centrelink. For more information or to apply, please visit your closest Centrelink office or visit the Centrelink website, Carer Allowance page.
- Helping Children with Autism (HCWA) – For more information visit: www.dss.gov.au